Young girl's pet goat saves family from fire
  • picture

Young Abigail Bruce's new four-legged friend played a crucial role in saving her family's lives.

Abigail's father, Nick Bruce, admitted that when he found out that 'Speedy' the goat was to became the newest member of their household he was less than enthusiastic about the prospect.

This would soon be set to change however when, a mere two days later, Abigail awoke to find her new pet frantically jumping up and down on her legs and chest.

She knew immediately that something was wrong by the smell of smoke filling up the house. Without hesitation, she ran to her parents room to wake them up.

"She said it was smoky and she could hardly breathe," said Nick. "She said she thought it was hailing outside but when I got up to check, it was the fire."

Fortunately the family were able to escape to safety through the bedroom window.

Without Speedy, they may have never awoken in time.

"He knew what to do and everything," said Abigail. "I think he was special before we got him.